Skip to content

Options for your empty home

With a huge demand for affordable housing, it's vital that we work with property owners to get empty homes back into use.

Homes are empty for various reasons, so we have different options for owners.

Lease to a housing association

A housing association 'lease and repair' scheme is an easy way to get guaranteed rental income if your property has been empty for at least six months.

The housing association makes the property ready to live in, finds new tenants, and manages the tenancy. You get a guaranteed rental income, minus repair and management costs.

The association takes on all the hassle of being a landlord: repairs, safety checks, insurance, council tax and so on. You get time to work out a long-term solution, and at the end of the lease (usually six years), you get the property back in good condition.

Sell to a housing association

A housing association can buy your property and do the repairs needed to bring it back into use; taking the costs of those repairs off the purchase price.

It means you can sell your property quickly, with no fees, and no need to take on the renovation costs.

Sell on the open market

You can sell through an estate agent, at an auction, or by advertising yourself. Get your property valued by a professional surveyor or estate agent.

If you can't afford the work, or it's difficult to organise, think about selling to a builder or developer at a lower price. Your local council may be able to put you in touch with private developers.

Rent out your property

If your property is ready to move into, you can rent it out. Renting through an agency takes out some of the hassle and responsibility, although you have to pay for the service.

Or, if you live in Oldham, Stockport, Tameside or Wigan you might be able to get a housing association to take it on for a small management fee.

Get a loan for repairs

If your property is in Wigan or the city of Manchester you may be able to get an interest-free local 'empty homes loan' for repairs or improvements.

Help and advice

Take the first step to getting your empty home back into use: contact an adviser from the local council.

They will talk through all your options, like leasing, renting and selling.

Bolton Council

Bury Council

Manchester City Council

Oldham Council

Rochdale Council

Salford City Council

Stockport Council

Tameside Council

Trafford Council

Wigan Council