Waste & Resources
Our aim is zero waste
Lead Member Cllr Alex Ganotis
We are responsible for the management and disposal of municipal waste from Greater Manchester (Formerly known as Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority). We handle around 4% of the UKs municipal waste. This is approximately 1.1 million tonnes of waste and recycling each year from over a million households from the metropolitan districts of Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside and Trafford. (Wigan operate as a unitary authority and administers its own disposal arrangements).
We have a network of waste management facilities in Greater Manchester, this includes:
- 20 Household Waste and Recycling Centres
- 7 Transfer Loading Stations
- 5 Mechanical Biological Treatment Facilities
- 3 In Vessel Composting Facilities
- A Materials Recovery Facility
- A Thermal Recovery Facility
We also manage 2 education centres, a solar farm and 4 closed landfill sites.
- 50% household recycling by 2020 and 60% household recycling by 2025
- Reduce household residual waste to 400kg per household per year.
In support of these aims, communications and behavioural change campaigns are delivered under our public facing brand, Recycle for Greater Manchester. We work in partnership with local councils, WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme) and other stakeholder organisations.
Contact Waste & Resources
Phone: 0161 778 7110
Facebook Recycle for Greater Manchester
LinkedIn Waste & Resources team (GMCA)