Greater Manchester Combined Authority

We aim to provide high-quality services for all members of the public. We accept that things can sometimes go wrong and we need to know when you are not happy with our service.

When you tell us what you are not happy with, we can try to put things right. In future, we can try to get it right first time. We will treat your complaint seriously and deal with your complaint positively. We see any complaints as an opportunity to improve the way we do things.

Our aims

We are committed to putting you first and providing quality customer service. This includes dealing with any complaint you may have.

  • We will deal with your complaint quickly and fairly.
  • We will tell you what is happening with your complaint and we will do everything we can to help you.
  • We will do our best to treat the information you give us in confidence.
  • We will explain our decision.
  • We will use complaints to review and improve the way we provide services.
  • If you make a complaint, it will not affect your rights to receive or use Combined Authority service.

How do I make a complaint?

Before submitting a complaint to the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) you should ensure that you have raised the complaint with the correct organisation. The Greater Manchester Combined Authority has not replaced existing local authorities, individual councils of Greater Manchester’s ten districts deliver the vast majority of services for your community. Also, the GMCA has not replaced companies and organisations providing and managing public transport in Greater Manchester.

If you make a complaint to us that does not directly relate to an activity carried out by the Greater Manchester Combined Authority we will advise which organisation you should make your complaint to. If you have emailed or written to us we will pass your complaint onto the right organisation and let you know we have done this.

Police and Crime Complaints

Transport Complaints

If you have a complaint about any transport-related matter Transport for Greater Manchester’s Customer Engagement Team will be pleased to help.  The team will make sure that any comments or complaints are logged and responded to or passed to the relevant third party operator (for example a bus company) so they can directly respond to the complainant.

Further information can be found online at:

Complaints about Metrolink complaints can be directed to:

Further information can be found online at:

If you have been through the complaints procedure of the appropriate transport provider and you are unhappy with the response provided you may wish to escalate your complaint to Transport for Greater Manchester’s Customer Relations team who will work with the operator to resolve the issue.

You can also escalate your complaint to Transport Focus, whose contact details and complaint handling process can be found online.

Greater Manchester Local Enterprise Partnership

If you have a complaint about Greater Manchester Local Enterprise Partnership:

Complaints, The Greater Manchester Local Enterprise Partnership

c/o Assistant Director - Governance and Scrutiny

Churchgate House
56 Oxford Street
Manchester M1 6EU

The Greater Manchester Local Enterprise Partnership follows the same complaints procedure as the Greater Manchester Combined Authority.

How the Greater Manchester Combined Authority Deals with Complaints

We want to make sure that when you tell us that you are not happy with something your complaint is dealt with fairly and sorted out as quickly as possible. We have tried to make our complaints process as straight forward as possible, which is set out below.

Step One - Informal Complaint

Where possible, an officer of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority will do their best to help resolve the issue for you. 

c/o Assistant Director - Governance and Scrutiny

Churchgate House
56 Oxford Street
Manchester M1 6EU

When you contact us, please give us your name and address - including your postcode - and your phone number. If you prefer, you can ask a friend or relative to speak or write to us for you.

If you are not happy with the outcome of this you can go through a formal complaints procedure which is:

Step Two - Formal Complaint

If the officer has not been able to help put things right, or you are not happy with the result, the next step is for you to make a formal complaint.

At this stage, we need the all the details of your complaint in writing.  

Complaints at Greater Manchester Combined Authority

c/o Governance and Scrutiny

Churchgate House
56 Oxford Street
Manchester M1 6EU

Your complaint will be handled by a senior manager in the team you're complaining about. For all complaints we will:

  • Let you know that your complaint has been received within 3 working days.
  • Provide you with a full response within 10 working days, or explain why it might take longer.
  • Give you details of who has investigated your complaint and their decision on it.
  • Advise you on how to take your complaint further if you are still unhappy with the result.

Step 3 - Complaint Review

If you have been through Steps 1 and 2 of the complaints procedure and you are still not happy with the results of the investigations, you can ask the GMCA’s monitoring officer to review your complaint. Please do this within 10 working days of receiving the outcome of your complaint.

The GMCA’s Monitoring Officer will write to you within three working days to let you know:

  • that they are reviewing your complaint;
  • approximately how long it will take us to carry out the review; and
  • when they will send out a written reply.

We aim to complete a complaints review within 25 working days.

Dealing with Repeating Complaints

We are committed to dealing with all complaints fairly and impartially, and to providing a high quality service to those who make them. However, there are occasions when contact from a complainant becomes too frequent or complex that it hinders our consideration of their complaints, or those made by other people.

We refer to such complainants as either vexatious or unreasonably persistent, and in such cases we may take action to limit the contact the complainant has with us. Such occurrences are rare, and we will first write to the complainant to advise that their contact is no longer considered reasonable.

If you'd like to take things further – Local Government Ombudsman

We really hope we are able to resolve any complaints you might have. If however, you are unhappy with the action we have taken, you may want to contact the Local Government Ombudsman.

You can contact the Local Government Ombudsman about your complaint at any time. However, the Ombudsman usually gives the Combined Authority the opportunity to investigate first.

You can contact the Local Government Ombudsman at:

Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
Coventry CV4 OEH

  • Phone: 0300 061 0614
  • Text: 'call back' to 0762 480 3014
  • Website:

You can get leaflets about how to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman from any of Council's offices or any library.

Is there anyone else who can help?

Apart from asking for help from a friend or relative, you can contact an independent person or organisation, for example:

  • your local councillor
  • your MP
  • Citizen's Advice Bureau

If you know your Ward name of the Council area you live in go to its web site and search for your Councillor. Find out who your MP is. Visit the Citizen's Advice Bureau website for information about their services.

You can contact your councillor at any time about your complaint. The councillor will normally ask the senior manager dealing with your complaint to provide details of why you complained and what they have done to put things right.

Comments and suggestions

As well as learning from complaints, we want to know any comments or suggestions you may have that will help us improve our services. You can do this by telling a member of staff about your comment or suggestion or by putting your comment or suggestion in writing.

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm worried that if I complain, the service I receive will be affected

Definitely not. We always aim to provide the best possible service to all our customers, and we will not change that just because we are investigating your complaint.

Is the information I give you confidential?

Any information you give us is covered by Data Protection guidelines. This means that we - will keep personal data safe and secure; will not share it with other organisations without your permission, unless the law says we must; and may use it to prevent and detect fraud.

I want to make a complaint, but want to stay anonymous - will you still look into it?

Yes. While it is helpful to us to know who you are so we can get in touch with you for extra details, we believe everyone has a right to complain. As a result we will investigate anonymous complaints thoroughly.