Police and Crime Complaints

Requesting a Review of your Police Complaint

If you are not satisfied with how your complaint was handled by Greater Manchester Police, then you may be able to request an independent review.

Police complaint reviews

Complaints about the Chief Constable

The Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Greater Manchester have powers to conduct investigations into complaints about Greater Manchester Police’s Chief Constable. If you have a complaint about the Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police then please email pccenquiries@greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk

Complaints about the conduct of GMP officers or staff

If you have a complaint about a police officer, member of police staff, police community support officer or special constable of Greater Manchester Police, please visit the Greater Manchester Police website for more information.

Greater Manchester Police - complaints (opens in a new tab)

Complaints about the Mayor of Greater Manchester or Deputy Mayor

If you have a complaint about the Mayor of Greater Manchester or the Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime in relation to police and crime issues, please read the following policy document and complete the complaints form contained within it:

Complaint Procedure Against the Mayor - for police and crime related issues (PDF, 279KB)

Complaint Procedure Against The Mayor - Flowchart (PDF, 345KB)

Complaints against the mayor for police and crime related issues - form (Word, 93KB)

Privacy statement for police and crime related complaints

Between the 1st of April 2020 and the 31st of March 2021 a total of seven complaints were received addressed to the Greater Manchester Police and Crime Panel. Three of these complaints concerned the Greater Manchester Deputy Mayor, one of the complaints concerned the Greater Manchester Mayor and three complaints concerned both the Mayor and Deputy Mayor.

If you have a complaint about a member of staff at Greater Manchester Combined Authority in relation to police and crime issues, please email us: pccenquiries@greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk

Greater Manchester Victims' Services

As a victim of crime, you must be treated with respect by police and they should listen to and do their best to respond to any questions or concerns you have. If you don’t think you have received the service you should have from the police, you can make a complaint to Greater Manchester Police (opens in a new tab).

To learn more about what should happen when you report crime - and the support services available to victims - visit the Greater Manchester Victims' Services website.

Greater Manchester Victims' Services (opens in a new tab) 

Appealing a decision to take a case to court

If your case does not go to court and you are unhappy with the decision made by the police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), you have a right to seek a review of the decision. This is called the 'Right to Review' scheme. You can find out more information on the scheme using the links below:

Crown Prosecution Service -  Victims’ Right To Review Scheme (opens in a new tab)

Stop and search 

The police power of stop and search is an important tool in tackling crime and protecting communities. However, we recognise that stop and search can be a source of tension between the police and the public and that this can have a disproportionate impact in some communities. The Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime is committed to ensuring there are robust scrutiny processes in place to make sure the police are acting proportionately and within the law.

We know that being stopped and searched can be an unpleasant experience, so if you have been stopped and searched and feel that you shouldn’t have been and/or feel the officer adopted an inappropriate attitude, then we would like to hear about it. We would also welcome any suggestions or positive comments you’d like to share.

If you would like to tell us about your experience of stop and search then please email us at stopandsearch.feedback@greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk

To find out more about stop and search, including your rights and responsibilities, visit the Greater Manchester Police website.

Greater Manchester Police - stop and search (opens in new tab)

More information about complaints

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has information on its website about the police complaints system (opens in a new tab).

You can also email the IOPC on enquiries@policeconduct.gov.uk, or call them on 0300 020 0096 (press 1 at prompt).