THE MAYOR of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, has issued a statement following the announcement made by the Health Secretary this evening (Thursday 30 July 2020) on measures being introduced across Greater Manchester.

Andy Burnham said: "Over recent days, there has been a marked change in the picture across Greater Manchester with regard to the spread of Covid-19. 

"We have gone from a falling rate of cases in nearly all of our boroughs last week to a rising rate in nine out of ten affecting communities across a much wider geography. In Rochdale, the one borough where cases have fallen, they are still too high.

"We have always said that we will remain vigilant and be ready to respond quickly should the need arise. In line with that approach, I have agreed with the Health Secretary that it is right to act on the precautionary principle and introduce modest measures now to bring down the rate of new infections. 

"I ask all Greater Manchester residents - young and old alike - to protect each other by observing these new requirements. They will be reviewed weekly; meaning the more we stick to them, the quicker they will be removed.

"This is a place which prides itself on looking out for each other. We now need to be true to that by not acting selfishly and keeping the health of others in mind at all times."


Article Published: 30/07/2020 20:34 PM