Sports field with goal posts and houses in the distance
Police + Fire covid19

Stay Safe Stay Well

Supporting residents to stay safe and well

Spending more time at home can, for many of us, cause feelings of anxiousness. For some, it can also make us feel unsafe. There are a number of steps you can take to stay safe and well while at home.

Taking time-out

If you’re sharing a space with people then it’s possible that tensions might rise. But there are things you can do if you feel yourself getting wound up.

Prevent tensions from escalating by taking time out. Go for a walk or find a space in your home where you calm down if things get too much.

Exercise and creative activities can also help burn of excess energy and contribute to positive mood.

Find more tips here - Greater Manchester Health Hub - feeling (opens in a new tab)

Responsible drinking

Now we’re staying at home more and we can’t go out socialising with friends and family, many people might be drinking more at home. 

The reality is alcohol is a strong factor in making poor decisions and can affect our behaviour so we all need to think about our drinking and how it may impact on those around us.

If your worried about your, or a loved one’s drinking, help and support is available.

Visit Greater Manchester Health hub - drinking (opens in a new tab)

Support for victims and witnesses of crime

We know this is a difficult and worrying time for some, and there is support available. It is important to remember that you are not alone, even if you are isolating.

During this time, maintain contact with friends and family via telephone and video calls, or social media, ensuring you and others are aware of any risks in the home, and you have a continued support network if needed.

If you need to access help and support, you can contact the police or support services online as well as over the phone.

  • If you, or someone you know, is feeling anxious and unsafe in their home, visit (opens in a new tab) or call 0161 200 1950 for help and advice, including how to access local support services. You don’t have to report anything to the police if you don’t want to.

  • If you, or someone you know, has come to harm or is at risk of coming to harm, you can report this to Greater Manchester Police via their Livechat facility at (opens in a new tab) or call 101. If you, or someone else is in immediate danger always dial 999.

  • You can still leave your home if you are at risk of harm, regardless of restrictions. 

  • If you are calling 999 from a mobile phone and you are unable to speak, you can use the Silent Solution by pressing 55 when prompted. Once you press 55, the operator will then transfer the call to the relevant police force as an emergency.

Article Published: 23/04/2020 10:44 AM