This will oversee the development and delivery of an ambitious, over-arching strategy for Culture, Arts and Leisure, which will play a pivotal role in delivering a range of Greater Manchester Strategy priorities.
This will focus on:
- The articulation of Greater Manchester's distinctive cultural voice and ambition, building on our reputation for cultural innovation, boosting our economy and giving Greater Manchester profile on the national and international stage
- Enriching the lives of Greater Manchester residents by enhancing, promoting and opening up to all, our cultural offer
- Supporting residents to improve health and well-being through a stronger and more responsive cultural offer
To achieve our ambitions, by April 2020, Greater Manchester will have:
- Increased the value and scale of Greater Manchester's visitor economy
- Implemented the GM Cultural Investment programme and Great Places project to substantially increase cultural engagement.
By October 2018, Greater Manchester will have:
- Delivered a quality tourism offer, including the development of new products, to remain competitive and continue delivery of innovative targeted national and international campaigns
- Developed and began delivery of a marketing plan which sets out the delivery actions and performance measures
- Developed a Greater Manchester Cultural Strategy
- Town of culture programme developed
- Established a Greater Manchester Culture Partnership
Culture Steering Group
The great and good of the local and national cultural sector are being brought together to form the Greater Manchester Culture Steering Group who will guide work being done to help support and help the culture, arts and heritage sectors across Greater Manchester.
Culture and Social Impact Fund / Greater Manchester Culture Fund
The Culture and Social Impact Fund will provide funding to properly constituted, not for profit, voluntary organisations, who are committed to providing excellent cultural experiences or work that has significant social impact across the ten boroughs in Greater Manchester.
Greater Manchester Night-Time Economy Adviser
Warehouse Project and Parklife founder Sacha Lord has been unveiled as Greater Manchester’s first-ever night-time economy adviser.
Appointed by Mayor Andy Burnham, Sacha will champion Greater Manchester’s thriving nightlife and set out bold plans to ensure people on a night out can have a safe and enjoyable time.
Greater Manchester Music Review
Working alongside UK Music and a panel of experts, Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham has set up a Greater Manchester music review to see how the city-region’s thriving scene can be nurtured, encouraged and refreshed. The review will look into Greater Manchester’s musical strengths, as well as where the music scene can be improved, ensuring that artists are supported to develop sustainable careers where everyone can access music in a safe and inclusive way.
Read more about the Greater Manchester Music Review, including the recommendations report working with UK Music, here
A green-city region and a high quality culture and leisure offer for all
Linking in with the ambitions of the green-city region, Greater Manchester will offer a vibrant, stimulating environment for people to live, work, study and play, supported by a world-class cultural and leisure offer.
Greater Manchester Moving
Mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham has endorsed the four-year plan to get Greater Manchester Moving. He has committed his leadership to the ambitious plan, as part of a collaborative approach with Greater Manchester Combined Authority, Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership and Sport England.
- Northern Cultural Regeneration Fund
- Culture and Social Impact Fund
- Meetings relating to Culture
- View all documents relating to Culture
- Research relating to Culture
Latest Topic News