Over half of the population has participated in some form of gambling in the past year. While for some this can be an enjoyable activity, it is a source of harm for many. Recognising the warning signs can help you realise when it’s time to seek help for yourself or others.

There are a number of signs to look out for, these include:

  • Spending more money and time on gambling than you can afford
  • Finding it hard to manage or stop your gambling
  • Having arguments with family or friends about money and gambling
  • Losing interest in usual activities or hobbies and neglecting work, family and personal needs/responsibilities
  • Always thinking or talking about gambling
  • Lying about your gambling or hiding it from other people
  • Chasing losses or gambling to get out of financial trouble
  • Gambling until all of your money is gone
  • Borrowing money, selling possessions or not paying bills in order to pay for gambling
  • Needing to gamble with more money or for a longer period of time to get the same feeling of excitement
  • Feeling anxious, worried, guilty, depressed or irritable.

Free and confidential advice and support is available in Greater Manchester for people who gamble, people who are worried about someone else’s gambling, or for people recovering from past gambling. You are not alone.

Specialist gambling services available include:

*please note that while Covid19 restrictions are in place, some in-person services have been replaced with an online or telephone service.

Self-exclusion tools:

Bereavement and suicide:

Peer support groups and advice:

These services can accessed directly via a self-referral or a referral from friend or family member. If would like to discuss your options or you aren’t sure which of these services best meet your needs, please contact your GP or another trusted professional who will be able to help you find the right support for your circumstances.

For advice and support to help manage the consequences of gambling disorder, such as debt, housing, legal or relationship advice, visit your local authority website where you can find services available in your area (Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford and Wigan) or contact Citizens Advice Bureau