Greater Manchester is rapidly becoming UK and European centre for cyber and digital ethics, trust and security. A region with a £5 billion digital economy and a strong cyber ecosystem is at the heart of that.
Greater Manchester presents a unique opportunity for cyber - a place with the ambition and strong civic mandate, to take an approach to digital that ensures no one gets left behind. Helping everyone to live healthier and happier lives by being able to navigate through, access and benefit from an increasingly digital world.
The Greater Manchester Cyber Security Advisory Group, hosted by Greater Manchester Combined Authority, reflects the cyber security capabilities of the region and drives forward inclusive economic growth for the city-region and the North. The group provides strategic oversight and a force for inclusive economic growth, taking an ecosystem approach to building that capability and economic resilience.
Five members of the Cyber Security Advisory Group exhibited at CYBERUK 2022 - the UK government’s flagship cyber security event, highlighting how we're doing digital differently in Greater Manchester and leveraging our expertise in areas like cyber security. Including:
- SPRITE+ - bringing together people involved in research, practice, and policy with a focus on digital contexts. A 'one stop shop' for engagement between academic and non-academic communities - a way for these communities to connect and a platform for building collaborations across the spectrum of issues relating to security, privacy, identity and trust.
- Digital Futures - a highly interdisciplinary network that operates across the whole range of the University of Manchester’s digital research. Digital Futures aims to present a coherent overview of our digital research activity to external stakeholders and bring together our research communities to explore new research areas and address strategic opportunities.
- Greater Manchester Cyber Foundry - a programme for small-medium sized businesses to help with business growth, stability and security. A partnership of four universities from the North West, using expertise to help defend, innovate and grow businesses in Greater Manchester. Our focus is to help SMEs protect their operations and assets along with strengthening their cyber defences.
- MIDAS – Greater Manchester’s inward investment promotion agency, with a strategic aim to secure significant levels of new investment for the city region to create and safeguard jobs. The region has a thriving community of more than 10,000 digital and tech businesses, from start-ups and SMEs to global brands as well as numerous homegrown unicorns. MIDAS, provides free, bespoke and confidential support to digital and tech companies looking to relocate to or expand in the city region.
- Greater Manchester Digital Security Hub powered by Barclays Eagle Labs - In early 2021, Manchester City Council selected a consortium, headed up by Barclays Eagle Labs, to operate the new Greater Manchester Digital Security Hub (DiSH). Launching in Summer 2022, DiSH will work with academia and corporates to drive innovation and growth in Greater Manchester’s digital and cyber security sectors. In addition, DiSH will inspire and educate the future workforce by offering cyber and digital skills workshops working with local primary schools, colleges and employers.
Visited our stand?
Find out more about what you have seen.
Greater Manchester Cyber Security Advisory Group
The Greater Manchester Cyber Security Advisory Group reflects the cyber security capabilities of Greater Manchester and drives forward inclusive economic growth for the city-region and the North.
The group will provide strategic oversight and a force for inclusive economic growth, taking an ecosystem approach to building that capability and economic resilience.
Read more on the group's outputs and how to get involved.
Greater Manchester cyber ecosystem prospectus
Download the Greater Manchester cyber ecosystem prospectus (Adobe PDF, 298KB) shared on our exhibition stand during CYBERUK22.
Milestones and achievements
We have pulled together some of the key milestones and achievements from Greater Manchester's cyber ecosystem over the last few years.